POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My LOTW project (145K) : My LOTW project (145K) Server Time
17 May 2024 09:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  My LOTW project (145K)
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 29 Apr 2004 06:10:14
Message: <4090d486@news.povray.org>
Hi all:

I've started my own "Landscape of the week" project, following the idea
   and general concepts of the LOTW project by Christoph Hormann. I'm
really amazed of what he achieved with isosurfaces, so I tried too...

My isolandscapes are not so exotic, mainly because I can't figure how to
obtain such spectacular shapes, but also because I don't have his
patience for testing such slow isos. I tried mutiplying only two pigment
functions (f_ridge and f_crackle), keeping the max_gradient between 3
and 5... at least it renders faster than the sky!

For the sky I combined a pigment for the high-level stratus-like clouds,
and media for the low-level cumulus clouds. The media density for the
cumulus uses the object pattern, taking as objetc a random clonglomerate
of randomly sized spheres. It's slow, but not as slow as I expected. The
idea arrived while looking at the latest cloud technique by Gilles, wich
uses density files.

There are other things too small to see on this test, as fields on the
most plain parts, with little iso-trees and simple csg houses placed
with trace() and eval_pigment(), but this is still WIP.

Of course, following with fidelity Christoph idea, the entire scene is
randomly parametrized, so changing a few seeds results in a different
landscape. The render time of this one is 9h, so I think that I can
produce one landscape per week when finished. There are still some
problems, the most obvious one being the interaction between cloud
containers and fog (I'm having a hard time isolating the problem).

Well, I hope to not abandon also this project, as I do with 99% of my
proyects lately. I've a sort of sinusoidal inspiration these days...

Regards,

--
Jaime

Post a reply to this message